Requesting for project ideas

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jan 2 09:39:05 PST 2013

On 2013-01-02 17:14, Ishan Thilina Somasiri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm posting this on bhalf of a group of 4 students from the final
> year of Department of Computer Science and Engineering,University
> of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. We are required to do a 8 months long
> project in our final year. The
> project should consist of both a research and development
> component and
> an implementation. Our group is interested in areas such as,
>
>     * Information security
>     * Cloud
>     * Parallel computing
>     * Compilers
>     * Operating Systems
>     * Distributed systems
>

> We’d like to know if the D programming language project has any
> project
> ideas that falls within our interest areas.

* Since you ask and mentioned compilers I would say a lexer/parser/front
end written in D. This should be usable as a library which the following
could be build upon:

* Syntax highlighter
* Compiler
* Refactoring
* Static analyzer
* Various other features usually found in an IDE

There are several other developers working on lexers/parsers, perhaps
helping out with existing project could be a good idea.

* Implementing support for extern (Objective-C), aka ABI compatibility
with Objective-C. This is already worked on but the project has staled:

http://michelf.ca/projects/d-objc/

* Implementing support for the new WinRT in Windows 8.

* I think it would be really cool if D could get support for AST
(Abstract Syntax Tree) macros.

Other ides for Phobos are:

* New XML module
* Finishing an allocator design + new containers
* A package dealing with cryptographic

--
/Jacob Carlborg