github release procedure

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:08:06 PST 2013

On Friday, 4 January 2013 at 19:30:29 UTC, Rob T wrote:
> Terminology aside, we need to differentiate between bug fixes
> that do not introduce new bugs vs bug fixes that may introduce
> new bugs *or* break existing code for the current release
> version. We also *have* to prevent new features and structural
> changes (destabilizers) from leaking into a stable release.

Understood. The things is that it is more dependent of the code
than of the bug itself.

Basically, it say that we should refuse risky bug fixes in
released versions, and fix them into master. This probably should
be specified at some point, but this is quite badly defined now,
and I'm not sure this is really important to define this before
actually using the process.

I'd go for a use you judgment here, or some very generic
guideline like « if the bug fix require important refactoring, or
change the behavior of an existing feature, then it should only
be fixed in master ».