D based BEEP library?

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Sat Jan 5 01:56:00 PST 2013

On 2013-01-05 03:40:00 +0000, Rob T said:

> For whatever reason BEEP never took off, so it's probably unlikely
> anyone will  write a D version of it.

I don't understand why it didn't took off. Maybe people didn't get
what's the power behind it and how simple you can make your life for
all network related things.

>  Google is now promoting SPDY as an alternative, and I would say it
> already has a lot more traction than BEEP does. Since you are a fan of
> BEEP, you must know a lot more than I do about the subject. Your
> thoughts on BEEP vs SPDY?

SPDY is more like an enhanced-HTML. So it's clearly trageted at browser
and the web.

BEEP is a generic framework to desing all kind of application network
protocolls. It's NOT a network protocol nor comes it with any specific
protocol.

In a nut-shell you get 2^32-1 channels per connection, you can send
arbitrary big messages on each channel in parallel, you can use
REQ/RESP, P2P, streaming etc. model whatever fits.

The nice thing is, that you can support different version of your
application protocol through different channels (profiles). So, a V2
app can still have the V1 protocol to speak to a server A and at the
same time use V2 protocol to speak to a server B.

It really saves you from 90% of all housekeeping code for network stuff.

BTW: Yes, the C binding is no big deal. And the vortex lib is very
matured. IMO the code is a bit complex and sometimes hard to handle. I
think using D will make the implementaiton more robust and simple.
That's why I asked.

--
Robert M. Münch
Saphirion AG