dlangspec.pdf?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jan 8 16:30:44 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 02:51:44PM -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >Now that the issue of documentation came up, I wonder if there's
> >interest in a high-quality PDF rendering of the language spec (e.g.
> >similar to the interior design of TDPL itself). Is it worth the
> >effort?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Andrei
>
> I just pushed the first passable PDF documentation generated via
> LaTeX with ddoc: http://goo.gl/QIP4t. For now I'm only rendering the
> TOC and lex.dd, but at this time we have enough seed for anyone
> interested to convert other files.
>
> Take a look at the generated PDF: http://erdani.com/d/dlangspec.pdf
[...]

Not bad.

Those single-column lists that span multiple pages are ugly, though. You
might want to consider defining some LaTeX macros that split it up into
multiple columns, depending on how many items there are. There should be
a way to do this using things like the ifthen module (which AFAIK is
included in standard LaTeX distributions). The macro can go into the doc
preamble, and then the ddoc comment can just reference it.

I'd present an example of such a macro here, but my LaTeX is a bit
rusty, and I'd need to look it up when I get home.

If a person can't communicate, the very least he could do is to shut up. -- Tom Lehrer, on people who bemoan their communication woes with their loved ones.