manual memory management

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Wed Jan 9 04:25:08 PST 2013

Am 09.01.2013 12:39, schrieb nazriel:
> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 02:49:34 UTC, Rob T wrote:
>>
>> I'm very surprised that not too many people have been screaming for
>> dynamic linking and runtime loading. It's very hard for me to imagine
>> not having the feature because it's so darn useful and an essential
>> feature if your strategy is to allow 3rd parties to extend an
>> application without hacking at the source code.
>>
>> If there's another better way, I'd sure like to know about it!
>>
>> --rt
>
> There were many people screaming about it.
> Just there is nobody who could make it work.
>
> Walter claimed that compiler is shared-lib ready, it is just druntime
> that is lacking. And he hasn't got knowledge to make it work on his own.
>
> Sean Kelly is out - he was Walter's bet to make it work.
>
> My hope was Martin Nowak, he was working on it but seems that he also
> got busy with other stuff

The compiler is not shared-lib ready. At least not on windows. It does
not support exporting data symbols. E.g.

export uint g_myGlobal;

This is mostly a problem for "hidden" data symbols, like vtables, module
info objects, type info objects and other stuff D relies on.

Druntime on windows does already handle everything else pefectly (e.g.
threads and TLS)

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut