core.runtime: loadLibrary and unloadLibrary?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Jan 10 06:20:58 PST 2013

On 2013-01-10 08:51, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> I don't know what the state of those functions is, but the GC can't handle
> shared libraries at this point. I believe that that's the main reason why
> shared libraries are a no-go at this point. And with a problem like that, it
> seems to me like a _really_ bad idea to try and use them. If I were you, I'd
> keep away from them until druntime was fixed to properly support them. That's
> certainly what I intend to do.

The state is that they're only implement on Windows:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/rt/dmain2.d#L122

About D shared libraries, this is what's missing:

The runtime need to collect the following from all loaded images (shared
libraries and executables) and all that are loaded during program execution:

* Exception handling tables
* Ranges scanned by the GC
* TLS data

There are more issues than listed above that I can remember right now.

--
/Jacob Carlborg