Exceptional coding style

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jan 15 08:49:04 PST 2013

On 1/15/13 11:33 AM, mist wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 at 16:31:05 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 17:02 +0100, mist wrote:
>> […]
>>> monospaced fonts everywhere to rule them all! :)
>>
>> Monospace fonts are an aberration of the typewriter era.
>>
>> All text, including code, should be displayed in proportional fonts, in
>> my case Ocean Sans Std on my machines.
>
> :O You are probably the very first programmer I have encountered so far
> that prefers proportional fonts for code. I need some time to even try
> to imagine how this may look.

I, too, prefer proportional fonts in code and tried hard to use them in
TDPL. I couldn't find a reasonable way to make them work in
LaTeX/listings (indentation and vertical align are pervasive issues) and
besides there are really elaborate monospace fonts to be had nowadays,
so I chose Bitstream Vera which is beautiful. (Took me a week to decide
on TDPL fonts alone but it was time well spent.)

Same deal in Emacs - there's just no good editor support for

Andrei