Exceptional coding style

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 08:51:25 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 17:33 +0100, mist wrote:
[…]
> :O You are probably the very first programmer I have encountered
> so far that prefers proportional fonts for code. I need some time
> to even try to imagine how this may look.

Use an editor like GEdit and change the font to a proportional one and
admire how much nicer the code looks!

(There are some aspects of some coding styles that work well with
monospace fonts, that make code look dreadful in proportional fonts, and
vice versa. For a fair comparison make sure a style that is reasonable
for both monospace and proportional is used.)

I really cannot understand the obsession computing people have with
using monospace fonts, I just assume it is a hang over from the line
printer era which created a mindset that most people do not challange.
As soon as computers moved from 80x24 terminals to editors with pixel
based accuracy and nice fonts I ditched all use of monospace fonts.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk