Exceptional coding style

Artur Skawina art.08.09 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 01:10:25 PST 2013

On 01/18/13 09:48, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/17/2013 11:58 PM, Artur Skawina wrote:
>> Sane, but badly formatted code is much preferable to bad, but pretty code.
>
> Offhand, I can't remember ever running across bad but pretty code.

Which is my point. An autoformatter makes the bad code look good, but does
not change its quality. Hence use of such a tool as part of the std dev
process should be strongly discouraged, not encouraged.
Having it can be useful when refactoring, yes.

If /formatting/ conflicts appear during merges, then it's a sign of either
a) bad code, or b) bad process. Papering over either problem with an
autoformatter is not the right fix.

artur