Exceptional coding style

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Fri Jan 18 01:20:58 PST 2013

Am 18.01.2013 10:10, schrieb Artur Skawina:
> Which is my point. An autoformatter makes the bad code look good, but does
> not change its quality. Hence use of such a tool as part of the std dev
> process should be strongly discouraged, not encouraged.

bad code can't look good by pretty-printing - its the semantic not the
style...

so you can concentrate your analysis completely on the semantic if an a
fulltime 100% working autoformatter would be always active

and if something like this would become a standard it wouldn't be that
hard for me as a freelancer to switch codeing-style from company to
company, department to department - all the while 10 TIMES a year :)

and that would reduce all this sensless dicussion about coding style
down to an (sometimes not all loved) standard

in the end the semantic of the code is all that counts: style a, b or c
isn't what keeps the world go round - unixstyle,Qt-style,mfc-style,etc.
they all are ~good but different