Focus

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jan 18 15:30:43 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 05:43:16PM -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 1/18/13 3:21 PM, bearophile wrote:
[...]
> I agree with the sentiment but let's not use oblique rhetorical
> questions to drive a point.
>
> Allow me to extend again the invitation to participate to the
> development by contributing code. Put another way: Do you know why
> bearophile asks rhetorical questions instead of pushing to github?
[...]

I have to say, after my initial euphoria upon discovering just how
awesome D is, I did stumble across a number of very frustrating issues
in the current implementation. I also found the slow rate of bug fixes
rather frustrating (from my biased POV, of course -- I was looking for
*my* bugs to be fixed, regardless of how many other bugs were being
fixed). So I thought, I have three choices: (1) give up on D and go back
to C++ (that was a pretty quick "no"), (2) post vitriol to the mailing
list, increasing the likelihood of offending the devs and reducing the
likelihood of my bugs getting fixed, or (3) fix the bug myself and
submit a pull request to show 'em how it's done (greatly increases the
likelihood of my bugs getting fixed, and faster at that).

I concluded that (3) was the most profitable approach, and that if
enough others arrive at the same conclusion, we will stand a good chance
of actually improving the situation. I'm a big fan of showing others how
to do things better when I see something less than satisfactory.

Be in denial for long enough, and one day you'll deny yourself of things
you wish you hadn't.