D popularity

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:21:41 PST 2013

On Monday, 21 January 2013 at 22:20:45 UTC, Thiez wrote:
> Nick, Teoh, what exactly do you guys hope to accomplish with
> your current discussion? What if someone who comes from a
> dynamically typed language wants to check out D and reads that
> vitriolic crap the two of you are spewing? I'm sure they'll
> feel very welcome knowing that what appears to be the D
> community thinks their current language of choice (which may
> simply be because it is the only language they have gotten a
> chance to learn) is cancer and a plague, that they are a fool,
> a dumbass, not a real programmer, and are guaranteed to write
> garbage. They will turn around and never return. And they'd be
> right. Why would they want to become part of a community that
> actively hates and despises them?

Well, if people can't make a difference between themselve and a
programming language, they have really bad psychological issues.

> Look, I get it, the two of you don't like dynamic typing.
> Neither do I. That is no absolutely excuse to bash dynamically
> typed languages and the people who use them. I expect D users
> can be divided into two groups: one with people that already
> prefer statically typed languages (in which case you are
> preaching to the choir), and one that consists of people who
> think both static- and dynamically typed languages have their
> uses (in which case they are probably well aware of the pros
> and cons and you are not going to convince them, but you will
> manage to leave the impression that they are not *really*
> welcome).

I use dynamically typed language on a daily basis at work. It
doesn't prevent me to acknowledge it is complete crap. I also
understand that I am not the programming language, so I don't
feel bad about it.

> Take a moment to think about on the impression you are
> creating. If you really need a dynamic-typing-circlejerk every
> now and then, consider having it in private or in a context
> where it will not reflect badly on the D community.

OK, let's start the politically correct game.

dynamically typed language are great, but they have issue X and Y
sounds much better.