Trust about D programming.

Freddie Chopin freddie_chopin at op.pl
Tue Jan 22 13:14:20 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 22 January 2013 at 21:02:32 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> I don't really have much embedded experience besides assembly
> programming in the old days (Z80, M68000, x86, MIPS, self build
> processor for digital circuits class).
>
> My understanding is that the processors the micro-controler
> class, the ones with memory in the order of bytes or kilobytes,
> usually C compilers that only implement part of the ANSI
> standard, given the hardware constraints.
>
> Meaning just a very small subset of data types is supported,
> limited library support and lots of compiler extensions to make
> use of the processor and on die ports.

Nothing like this here - you have all types, you have complete
libm, libc and stdlibc++ with everything you need. There are no
compiler extensions other than a typical GCC __attribute__ used
to declare interrupts, which is not really necessary on most
Cortex-M3 chips. These are really powerful chips with
1.25DMIPS/MHz and clocks around 70MHz (ranging from 24MHz to
204MHz)... There's even a dual-core chip - LPC43xx which has
Cortex-M4F (with single precision hardware FPU and some SIMD
instructions) and a Cortex-M0, both running at 204MHz <:

So these are not very much like 8-bit microcontrollers (AVR, PIC,
...)

That's why I think D would fit such chips quite nice (; Sans the
GC of course... Maybe without exceptions too, but I don't think
that would be possible (it's pretty hard in C++)...

4\/3!!