Internal and external iteration, fibers

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 11:08:58 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 02:57 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[…]
> Martin Odersky confessed to me being quite worried about the possible
> community reaction to the introduction of AST macros. I haven't kept
> close tabs to see how it's turning out.

AST transforms are working wonderfully well in Groovy. This is the tool
that is allowing there to be static type checking and static compilation
of Groovy code amongst a whole load of other things.

Macros in Scala are a bit more of a mixed blessing, not because they are
not a useful tool but because of the reaction of the community.  All in
all I suspect they will be fine.

[…]
> I completely disagree. (Sorry to foul you twice.) All AST macro systems
> I've studied are considerably difficult to understand and use
> effectively. By comparison, string macros are brutal and unstructured
> but the kind of thing all programmer worth their salt can get done.

There is no doubt that AST transforms in Groovy is not something the
application programmer would spend time on unless they knew what they
were doing. It isn't a trivial API. However it is straightforward once
you know ASTs.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk