Internal and external iteration, fibers

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jan 23 12:29:24 PST 2013

On 2013-01-23 08:57, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> I completely disagree. (Sorry to foul you twice.) All AST macro systems
> I've studied are considerably difficult to understand and use
> effectively. By comparison, string macros are brutal and unstructured
> but the kind of thing all programmer worth their salt can get done.

I was talking about functions running at compile time. In D that's
handled by an interpreter which doesn't support the full language. It
also behaves differently from the "regular" language. Bugs occur in the
CTFE interpreter which doesn't occur in the regular compiler.

In Scala it _is_ the regular compiler that handles both the CTFE and the
regular code. A bug in the regular compiler will show up during CTFE as
well.

BTW, how do you make a string mixin hygienic?

--
/Jacob Carlborg