auto ref - again

Namespace rswhite4 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 26 09:13:01 PST 2013

On Saturday, 26 January 2013 at 17:02:40 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Saturday, 26 January 2013 at 16:27:04 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 1/26/13 6:03 AM, Namespace wrote:
>>> In relation to this post:
>>> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ssiulznvtkmfkimmatpk@forum.dlang.org?page=5#post-knnghuzbzqddaqcjtvch:40forum.dlang.org
>>>
>>> I hereby open up again the discussion about auto ref.
>>> There are only some questions: Will auto ref be implemented
>>> in the near
>>> future or not?
>>
>> Yes. We are actively looking into a complete solution. Along
>> the way we also very strongly want to define semantics of
>> "ref" in such a way that makes unsafe escapes impossible.
>> These two features are related.
>>

> Wouldn't it be nice if such thing would be settled BEFORE
> breaking quite a lot of code when changing this behavior in
> 2.061 ?

Absolute agreement.
While it is true that structs are not lvalues​​, but to fix this
known bug, without implement a solution for rvalue references was
a really bad idea.
This bug was so long tolerated because we hadn't a solution for
rvalue references. So it would be good to know, why it was fixed
this time, although we have still no rvalue refs.