Feature request: Path append operators for strings

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jul 7 16:03:39 PDT 2013

On 7/7/13 2:44 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> This started with you claiming that Siri is just Eliza with more
>> memory. That's
>> inaccurate to say the least.
>
> I argue it is dead on. I don't see a fundamental difference.

Consider someone at a 1970s level of compiler technology coming to you
and telling you in all seriousness: "Yeah, I tried your D language. A
few more keywords and tricks. Compiler supports lines over 80 columns.
Other than that, it has nothing over Fortran77." Knowing the wealth of
research and development in programming languages since then, you'd know
that that's just an ignorant statement and would not even take the time
to get offended.

Similarly, it would be an ignorant thing to say that Siri is just a
larger Eliza. There is a world of difference between Eliza's and Siri's
approaches. In fact the difference is even larger than between 1970s
compilers and today's ones. For a simple example, in the 1990s NLP has
definitely departed from rule-based models to statistical models. I
don't know of a similarly large change in programming language technology.

Andrei