working on the dlang.org website

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jul 17 02:22:45 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-17 09:46, Chad Joan wrote:

> Please no RoR/PHP/JavaScript/etc.  It's already hard enough to
> contribute to this thing as it is.  These would add a bunch of
> dependencies for little gain, and possibly a bunch of alienation.

Yes, it adds dependencies but it's easy to use and is well documented.

> FWIW, I was able to pick up and understand ddoc very quickly.  It is
> awesome for docs (you know, that thing it was made for).  I also love
> the idea of generating webpages from my source code: as long as it's API
> docs.  I don't think this necessarily means it should be used for web
> dev.  At the same time, when web developers offer alternative tools, my
> gag reflexes tend to kick in.  Maybe we can solicit the web developers
> for tool advice and pick the things that don't make people gag?  Maybe
> my imagination lives in a perfect world.

Ddoc isn't hard to use, it's too limited in what it can do. What is hard
is everything around it, like building and so on, as you mentioned. With
a big web development framework, like Rails, it's well documented.

I certainly don't think ddoc should be use for web development. I would
never create a site with ddoc. It's too limited in what it can do.

--
/Jacob Carlborg