A proper language comparison...

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jul 27 12:11:38 PDT 2013

On 7/27/2013 11:50 AM, Meta wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 July 2013 at 17:52:20 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I use a Turtlebeach Audiotron.
>
> That may be your problem right there. Turtle Beach seems to make high-quality
> products, but in reality the quality is extremely poor. I have 5 (5!) friends
> now, as well as myself, who bought a Turtle Beach product, and had it break
> within a year and a half (conveniently for Turtle Beach, the warranty only lasts
> a year), or even be DOA. I would never buy a Turtle Beach product again, ever.

I've been running the Audiotron for maybe 12 years now, all day every day. I
like it enough that I've bought two others. I look for a replacement now and
then, but none offer the Audiotron's mix of features:

1. operable from the front panel or a remote
2. provides a web interface so it can be controlled from any computer on the LAN
3. does not require a server demon - it can simply read shared directories on
the LAN for the music
4. it is very low power
5. plays internet radio stations too
6. has shuffle

For example, the Roku box I have can play music it sucks from the LAN. However,

1. need to connect it to a TV in order to control it
2. no web interface
3. can't use Roku remote without a TV display
4. requires a server demon
5. does not have shuffle

13 years after the Audiotron, the Roku is apparently the zenith of loser
technology. I mean, it doesn't have shuffle? What the hell?