DMD under 64-bit Windows 7 HOWTO

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 14:58:19 PDT 2013

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 14:36:45 -0700, Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario at gmx.de>
wrote:

> On 03.06.2013 01:38, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 21:08:48 -0700, Sean Cavanaugh
>> <WorksOnMyMachine at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The other configuration types there seemed to work for me as well, so
>>> I'm having trouble even breaking it.
>>
>> And I can't seem to get it to work. I am now getting a stack overflow
>> from pipedmd trying to build an x64 DLL using VS2012.
>>

> pipedmd is a program to demangle symbols in linker output and to monitor
> file accesses for better library dependencies. It hasn't been tested too
> well with the microsoft linker (I guess it might have problem with
> 64-bit executables), so you might try to disable it by switching off
> both "demangle names in link errors" and "Monitor optlink dependencies"
> in the global Visual D settings.

Oops, I forgot to update this. It actually wasn't within pipedmd, I was
able to pin it down to dmd itself. There are some REALLY strange
interactions with -H and -D in DMD on Windows, if you only specify one of
those two options DMD will act like no command line was received and
display the command line switch listing, if you use both it will give you
the stack overflow. This is appearing with the stock DLL template in
Visual D. I haven't submitted a bug report because I am not even sure who
is at fault, DMD I think, and even then I don't really know what's wrong.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender