Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jun 6 18:12:06 PDT 2013

On 6/6/2013 4:56 PM, Flamaros wrote:
> I think it depend of his simplicity and integration in the common D process
> development. Maybe because D build fast we can add some extra steps during build
> of the release?
> And developers of companies that develop the biggest application will be aware
> of this tool and certainly have script or advanced tools to build their software
> release, adding a line during the building process seems acceptable.

Consider a trivial and effective DMD tool for debugging and improving efficiency:

    -cov

and I'm the only one I know of that uses it.

Usage really doesn't get any simpler than that, but it fails because it requires
the user to look at the feedback and then go edit his source code. Bzzzt!

What does work is:

     -O

and voila! Program runs faster! When we're talking about payoff for D users,
bang for the buck, whatever, improving -O is where it's at, and making the
semantics of D amenable to automated optimization is a big win.