Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 20:59:12 PDT 2013

On 8 June 2013 13:25, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 6/7/2013 5:15 PM, Manu wrote:
>
>> I can tell you that in my case, we export a lot(/most) things. Renderer
>> api,
>> sound api, etc are often all in their own libraries. So none of them are
>> ever
>> eligible for optimisation.
>>

> I'm curious why these exports all must be classes, and cannot be structs?

Because they embody functionality, not just data. That's just how many many
programmers write code.
Go to university for a couple of years, see what they tell you... ;)
Some of these systems can effectively be considered plugins. Consider
OpenGL/DirectX? DirectSound/XAudio? Linux has a million back-end API's to
choose from.
I can see why many people feel it's natural to design their API's/systems
that way, right or wrong.

I don't agree with it personally, I would write it differently, but I'll
never win that argument. Tech/systems programmers are vastly outnumbered in
most studios. And of course, most programmers are junior-mid experience,
that's just commercial reality.