std.compress

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Thu Jun 13 04:28:20 PDT 2013

"Jakob Ovrum" <jakobovrum at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:sdgqfozqnysbnumynkvp at forum.dlang.org...
> On Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 22:34:55 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>> There is a reason we don't call every function in phobos 'process' and
>> let
>> the module name tell us what is actually does - when you see the name in
>> your source code, it is easy to recognize what is being done.
>
> "copy", "write" and "compress" are perfectly recognizable names.

Ok, how exactly is the data compressed in the following snippet?  No
scrolling up to the top of the module to see what's imported!

newdata = data.compress();

>> tl;dr We have great tools to disambiguate when we have to.  Let's not
>> have
>> to.
>
> The way I see it, you're asking that all code should pay for the benefit
> of a minority of cases. I'd choose the inverse.

This is not a function that will be used every few lines.  Making the name a
little longer for an increase in clarity is usually seen as a good idea.