Ranges and random numbers -- again

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 18 00:06:41 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 00:16:24 Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 06/18/2013 12:10 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > What were the reasons it was not accepted?
>
> I think mostly that, as a patch to std.random, it was a breaking change.
> There was a proposal to make a std.random2 but that would have been a
> rather more major piece of work :-(

Yeah. Changing std.random to use reference types would be a breaking change
unless you just created new classes for everything. It would just be cleaner
to do std.random2 instead. But that means that someone has to take the time to
prepare it for the review queue. It would probably be a pretty easy sell
though, since it can probably stay mostly the same aside from the struct ->
class change (though at that point, we might as well take the opportunity to
make sure that anything else that should be redesigned about it gets
redesigned appropriately).

- Jonathan M Davis