Opinions on DConf talks

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jun 25 12:58:22 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:42:44PM -0700, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:38:01 -0700, MattCoder
> <mattcoder at hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> >I watched and liked 'em all.
> >
> >But one little thing that comes in mind now is: It really needs
> >this type of conference when we live in Internet era?
> >
> >It was a U$ 30k event for how many attendees? 100 for a universe
> >of 10k D users?
> >
> >What I mean is, can't "we" make those videos and share thoughts
> >without conferences, do it monthly to gather attention of more
> >programmers?
> >
> >If the internet works for open source code, a live meeting over
> >internet wouldn't be possible too?
> >
> >PS: Sorry my poor english.
>
> I think in this internet era it is far to easy to underestimate the
> power of physical interaction. More got done as a result of the
> conference than I think would've been possible otherwise. Sometimes
> you just need to duke it out verbally. :-)
[...]

I couldn't make it to the conference, but from what I heard, a lot of
hatchets were buried and a lot of issues were sorted out as a result of
meeting in person. That should never be underestimated. :) In this day
and age of online personae, it's all too easy to forget that there are
real, living, breathing people behind the personae. Meeting in person
has a way of sorting things out in a way no amount of email, forum, or
online chat could ever do.

Knowledge is that area of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce