Migrating dmd to D?

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Fri Mar 1 02:08:19 PST 2013

Am 01.03.2013 10:54, schrieb Vincent:
> Andrei, I cannot catch these steps:
>
>> 1. Implement the dtoh standalone program that takes a D module
>> and generates its corresponding C++ header.
>>
>> 2. Use dtoh to initiate and conduct an incremental port of the
>> compiler. At given points throughout the code D code will
>> coexist and link with C++ code.
>
> Since D is written on C++, what exactly you gonna convert to "C++
> header"??

it will be an incremental port using both C++ and D code
so the DMD C++ base needs headers from the D based module replacements

 >Anyway, I offer to keep away from C++ code - it's written with
 >"C++ in mind", while D offers brand new world. So I support
 >rewritting D on D from scratch.

that will just not work for an project of that size - or better - there
are several tries of from-scratch without success out there

an incremental port and then refactor is the best/fasted and error-free
thing we can get

benefits:
-will help to find more bugs/missing features/tools in the C/C++ <-> D
conversion/adaption area (which is still a big plus for D)

-keeps both the pure D and the semi-pure :) D guys (Walter,gdc,ldc
frontend developers) in the same boat

-the dmd frontend will become the very first community driven BIG
project that can be a much better orientation for bug-prevention
designs/future D ideas etc. then every thing else

etc...