Optlink is on github

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 12:15:30 PST 2013

On Thursday, 7 March 2013 at 20:01:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> What we *can* do with Optlink is fix the occasional bug that
> crops up in it.

I hope so. :)

On Thursday, 7 March 2013 at 20:01:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I also believe that even if Optlink were completely converted
> to C, it will still be intractably difficult to refactor it to
> do things like support other object file formats.

I really wish Unilink[1] was open-source. It's apparently a
student project, and it's closed source but freeware. It works
with OMF but can also link OMF and COFF objects together, which
is a boon for win32 programmers who don't want to go through
OBJCONV (object file conversion, doesn't always work) or COFF2OMF
(import libs). It also has pretty good error messages.

Of course there's no telling how big its test-suite is. It's
fairly easy to set up though[2].

[1] ftp://ftp.styx.cabel.net/pub/UniLink/
[2]
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/jbvugp$8l3$1@digitalmars.com#post-mailman.1414.1323538292.24802.digitalmars-d:40puremagic.com

On Thursday, 7 March 2013 at 20:01:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> This is why I had started a new linker project.

Interesting. But if it's made behind-the-scenes with no input or
work from the community I won't be holding my hopes up too much,
I know you have very limited time for side-projects like that.