Google Summer of Code 2013(?)

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 13:22:02 PDT 2013

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:07:24 -0700, alex <info at alexanderbothe.com> wrote:

> I forgot to specify the topic I'd like to work on:
>
> To implement CTFE of D code under .Net - whereas the D code should
> become compiled into CIL (Common language runtime Intermediate Language,
> an assembler-like language), so one could execute the 'final' program
> directly in a .Net environment.
> I know this goal can never be reached within one summer of code - and
> it's also rather experimental / an entire compiler back-end that has to
> be implemented (The front-end is mostly there already ;-)) + perhaps
> needs a bunch of people for such a huge thing, but well..why not?

I just want to throw some caution into the wind here. Many people have
tried emitting CIL from D source, and have had varying levels of success.
Ranges in particular seems to a pain point as the CIL has no way to
express that concept natively. I am not saying this isn't a good idea, as
it's the only realistic way to do CTFE in the .NET world, just something
to be careful when approaching.

That said, I come from the C#/.NET world and would love to help make this
happen.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender