Improve performance of -profile by factor of 10

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Mar 26 18:30:16 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 17:17:51 Walter Bright wrote:
> I've done a lot of very successful optimization jobs using -profile. Sure,
> it isn't terribly accurate, but it's plenty accurate enough where it
> matters.

I'd say that for the most part, our approach to stuff like -profile or unit
testing is to provide a simple-to-use feature that solves the problem 90% of
the time while leaving more powerful (and therefore more complicated) stuff to
3rd party solutions. That way, we have a tool that everyone can use effectively
even if it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles, and those that really
care about the bells and whistles can do what they normally would have done
anyway if we didn't provide a solution (i.e. use or write a 3rd party
solution).

- Jonathan M Davis