DConf 2013 keynote

skeptical joeschmo at news.net
Fri May 10 23:32:28 PDT 2013

In article <kmjfg9$31e9$1 at digitalmars.com>, newshound2 at digitalmars.com says...

> On 5/10/2013 4:09 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> > One of them is the plane metaphor. I now know that Walter is a big fan of plane
> > (and he knows quite a lot about that !) but the problem is that the point is
> > very subjective (the plane want to fly).
>
> It's not that subjective. An airplane that "wants to fly" is well known among
> airplane designers and pilots. All you have to do is point it down the runway
> and open the throttle. It will take off and fly straight and level without any
> hands on the controls. An airplane can also endure grevious damage, and still fly.

Perhaps an airplane engineer could explain it better than a flunky language
engineer?

> A helicopter, on the other hand, wants to crash. It requires constant active
> efforts to keep it in the air, and if much of anything goes wrong, it will crash
> and kill you.

Consider, for a moment, Walter, that you are amongst those who know more than
you about pretty much you would dare expound upon. How is that different from
being the conceptual monk of the frictional "d programming language"?

Think before you answer, for the wheel of woe, may be prescribed to give you
"more time to think about it".

> Have you ever driven a high performance car that "wants to go"?

Have you ever kissed a girl?

> I have.

"Isn't that special", "Mr. Language Engineer". You're not a language engineer
Walter, are you? Don't let me "pigeonhole" you though, if you want to be other
than what I "assess" you "are".

> The car
> clearly isn't happy being driven slowly and gently. It's only happy when your
> right foot is mashed all the way down :-)

Oh yeah, Walt, "we're" all over that: ooooo, ahhhh, you are so "knowledgeable".

(Aside: this is text forum and text is a paltry means of communication SOMETIMES
(TBD when). I mean no disrespect to those afflicted with handicaps of any kind.
I have some too. I don't patronize anyone. OK, a little, but not at expense of
others. And you "programmers" are going to be literal about that... "I can't
even lose to win!", said... who said that?)

****

Walt, is not engineering aircraft of any kind, I would assume. Are you? Then who
the f cares here about your jetliner company stint? That would be called in
"professional circles": name dropping. Walter: put up or shut up. (Just kiddin'
ya, Waldo (oops, I meant "Walt(er)"). I know you in-depth. I'm not picking on
you, e.g., but "they" will think I am, hmm?

Walter, are you autistic? (Shush people, let him answer).