D pull request review process -- strawman formal definition, query for tools

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Sat May 11 12:23:38 PDT 2013

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> OK, so now to implement this kind of thing, we need to have a
> collaboration tool that allows tracking the review through its workflow.
> No idea what the best tool or what a good tool would be.  We need
> something kind of like an issue tracker (can github issue tracker do
> this?).  I don't have a lot of experience with doing online project
> collaboration except with D.  I like trello, but it seems to have not
> caught on here.

The best tool for this is gerrit:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrit_%28software%29#Notable_users
- Presentation: http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/home/intro-git-gerrit
   I've downloaded and cut just the gerrit part:
   http://koch.ro/temp/gerrit_skillsmatter.mp4
- gerrit vs. github pull requests:
http://julien.danjou.info/blog/2013/rant-about-github-pull-request-workflow-implementation

Gerrit for D:

- Gerrit works on top of Git.
- Gerrit is designed to automatically run unit and style checks even before
a human reviews the code.
- Gerrit tracks the whole history of a change request across all versions of
this change. One can see diffs between versions of one particular change
request.
- Gerrit supports topics to further specify what a change is about

Regards, Thomas Koch