Migrating D front end to D - post Dconf

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sat May 11 15:51:36 PDT 2013

On May 11, 2013 6:35 PM, "David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote:

> On Saturday, 11 May 2013 at 17:23:53 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>>
>> That... doesn't sound very nice to me.  How much of phobos are we
>> realistically going to need?
>

> All of it? Well, not quite, but large parts at least.
>
> If we are going to stick to the C subset of the language, there is little
point in translating it to D in the first place.

> Of course, there will be some restrictions arising from the fact that the
code base needs to work with D versions from a year back or so. But to me
duplicating the whole standard library inside the compiler source seems
like maintenance hell.

> David

I don't think it would be anything in the slightest at all.   For
instance,  Bigint implementation is big,  BIG.  :)

What would be ported to the compiler may be influenced by BigInt,  but
would be a limited subset of its functionality tweaked for the purpose of
use in the front end.

I am more concerned from GDC's perspective of things.  Especially when it
comes to building from hosts that may have phobos disabled (this is a
configure switch).

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw