DConf 2013 keynote

Juan Manuel Cabo juanmanuel.cabo at gmail.com
Sun May 12 09:35:25 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 12 May 2013 at 03:58:04 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> The nicest thing of all, IMO, about not strictly needing all
> that
> support software is that basic things like
> editing/navigating/opening/closing code is always and forever
> 100%
> unobstructed by things like startup delays and keyboard input
> lag which
> have no business existing on the rocket-engined supercomputers
> we now
> call "a PC".

I'm using a little known IDE for D known as Poseidon:
     http://www.dsource.org/projects/poseidon/wiki/Screenshots
it is very fast, loads very quickly, and the editor is very
responsive. The keyword autocompletion is mostly broken in D2 but
I can live without it. It is a bit sad that it has gone
unmantained for more than a year.

These are the things that I cannot live without for my big D2
project:
     - Syntax highlighting.
     - Tree like structure for navigating all the many source
files of my project.
     - Search in multiple files.
     - Debugging (breakpoints, step by step, go to line that
crashed). It suprisingly still works in Poseidon.
     - Can go to file/line when double-clicking on compiler error.
     - Compile/run/debug just by hitting SHIFT-F5, and other keys.
     - No need for a makefile. It feeds all source files
(hundreds) and libraries to dmd.

For smaller D projects I use Vim/makefiles though.

Again, I'm a bit sad that it has gone unmantained for so long,
but it's totally usable still. This is the faster IDE that I've
found.

--jm