Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon May 20 15:35:16 PDT 2013

On 5/20/13 3:08 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 20 May 2013 at 22:04:06 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> everyone has their own unique idea and where they disagree with each
>> other.
>
> I don't even agree with myself!

I've been trying to find a good point in this thread to inject my basic
thoughts on the subject.  This is probably the best place (and it's not
directly specifically at you Adam but rather the topic).

I think it's a pretty huge fallacy to even consider that there can be
one true standardized gui toolkit.  As evidence, just look at the sheer
number of them that exist right now.  If you could pick a top 10 list,
and I think even that would be hard, there's not a clearly ahead of the
others champion.  There's just too many different philosophies and
approaches to the problem with too many competing goals.

The "ideal GUI" is something that I believe can't be defined, much less
exist.

As to re-invent vs wrap.. just consider the number of man years poured
into your favorite gui toolkits that already exist, and then consider
repeating that cost.  Aren't there a number of other projects, todo's,
bug fixes, etc that would benefit from even a fraction of that sort of
investment?

My 2 cents,
Brad