Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue May 21 23:44:48 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-22 07:00, Peter Williams wrote:

> My experience (with PyGTK) is that GUI building tools actually make the
> task harder not easier (once you become familiar with the API).  Of
> course, things may have changed since I last used such a tool but I
> doubt it.

Then you obviously haven't used Interface Builder/Xcode on Mac OS X.
It's a great tool for window building.

> Having said that I have to admit that I've implemented my own "list/tree
> specification" mechanism for that particular job because it made it
> easier to find where to make changes.  In my defence, last time I used
> one of the GUI building tools it contained no support for building lists
> and trees so making my own made sense.

If the tool didn't support trees you obviously used a bad tool. In Xcode
you can drag in a standard view, then change the implementation class.
This allows you to add your custom views to the window using the GUI
builder. It used to have plugins for this but they were removed in Xcode 4.

--
/Jacob Carlborg