new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed May 22 06:38:53 PDT 2013

On 5/22/13 4:25 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> Except D is nowhere close to stable, it only pretends to. Every single
> release breaks the code. Every. Usual attitude "well, it is a breaking
> change and a lot of users will be screwed, but it is a bug fix, so we
> are all right?". No, you are not. I can't imagine where such definition
> of "breaking" came from, it is literally single most disastrous thing in
> D development process.

At a level it should be obvious that not all breakages are equal. It's
better to suffer from few and well-motivated breakages that actually fix
real problems and improve user code, than from arbitrary breakages
caused by name churn. To just put them under the same umbrella "this
release broke my build" would miss important details.

> And I have proposed various ways to address it properly via release
> process numerous times. Every single topic was ignored both by Andrei
> and Walter. Because, yeah, it isn't real problem, is it?

Of course it is a problem. There have been numerous discussions on the
topic indeed, and we are evidently trying to improve things.

I only count one discussion initiated by you ("Release process and
backwards compatibility" started on March 8, 2013 at
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/nchvayzsbrzevvucmmmi@forum.dlang.org. That
discussion has had some 15 responses from 7 people, none of whom seemed
to quite rally behind your point. I am sorry you feel that particular
idea has not received the attention you believe it deserves, but it
would be much to accuse me or Walter of deliberately ignoring it.

Andrei