Ideal D GUI Toolkit

Peter Williams pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 22 17:04:28 PDT 2013

On 22/05/13 07:27, Diggory wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 May 2013 at 18:59:08 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> I would expect that the system needs to be designed from the ground up
>> with support for something like internationalization. There are
>> probably other features were this is true as well.
>
> Of course, although I think internationalization is actually not one of
> them.
>
> We could implement something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettext

I agree.  I would very much like to see a D implementation of gettext()
as IMHO it is the best i18n mechanism around - simple and easy to use.

I also think that putting i18n hooks in your code is not just good
manners but good sense as it widens your potential customer base.  I do
it with all of my PyGTK GUIs (as Python's standard has gettext()) but
don't do any l8n as I figure that's not my responsibility.

 > in D which would be great because unlike Gettext we wouldn't have to
 > have a separate compiler to generate the equivalent of the .pot file, we
 > should be able to do that as part of the normal compilation process.

This would be great.  I had been toying with the idea of making a tool
to do that but if the compiler could do it things would be greatly
simplified.

Peter