new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu May 23 10:19:57 PDT 2013

On 5/23/13 9:25 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 13:08:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> It's an imperfect system, and we do our best with what we know, whom
>> we work with, and what we believe. We all have the same goal. To be
>> frank - relax. There's no reason to get overly combative over this.
>
> I am really glad to hear that you at least accept it is imperfect
> system. Beg my sincere pardon if my comments sound hostile, it is very
> hard to keep the right balance between being polite and actually
> breaking the comfort zone.
>
> You don't answer the question though - why adopting widely used release
> processes to address this is not an option for D? Do you see any hidden
> issues there?

The only issue I see is we need buy-in from all major contributors. They
are working hard within a setup and accumulated a number of habits and
ways of doing things. It's very easy to say what other people should do.
It's quite a bit more difficult to effect such change.

Also, you seem to be 100% convinced that one particular release model
must be used, but there wasn't as much consensus as you imply. The whole
adoption thing must be predicated on the assumption that we are
convinced we're choosing the right thing.

Andrei