new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Fri May 24 01:23:16 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 17:19:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> The only issue I see is we need buy-in from all major
> contributors. They are working hard within a setup and
> accumulated a number of habits and ways of doing things. It's
> very easy to say what other people should do. It's quite a bit
> more difficult to effect such change.

Sure. But has this been even discussed among major contributors?
:) (Also _all_ contributors should not really care, only those
who do release and branch management).

> Also, you seem to be 100% convinced that one particular release
> model must be used, but there wasn't as much consensus as you
> imply. The whole adoption thing must be predicated on the
> assumption that we are convinced we're choosing the right thing.

I have a terrible imagination and when example is needed tend to
use solutions I like most personally :) However, in practice I
would have been incredibly glad with _any_ solution which can be
formally defined and eagerly adopted by D developers. And I am
quite sure that if you will want to have one, you will create one
much better than any single approach I can possibly propose.

In that sense I am extremely satisfied that you at least agree
this is a problem and important opportunity for improvement. My
goal is not to push some specific approach but to oppose possible
conception that current approach is good enough to care not.

Thanks for your time!