new DIP41: dmd/rdmd command line overhaul.

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu May 23 10:29:45 PDT 2013

On 5/23/13 12:40 PM, "Luís Marques" <luismarques at gmail.com>" wrote:
> D is great, but the syntax of dmd makes for a bad first impression,
> which is vital in a "new" language.

I think this is overblown. First thing people use is rdmd without flags,
which just works. Then, builds using flags are snuck in a makefile or
script and forgotten about. It's just the way things get done. Compiler
flags are not something one messes with all the time (like e.g. git's).

I agree there is a standardized way of dealing with options on modern
Unixen. I agree dmd does not abide to it. I agree dmd could be made to
abide to it with the appropriate care. I am not sure whether it's worth
anyone's time to look into that.

Andrei