DLang Spec rewrite (?)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat May 25 22:34:30 PDT 2013

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 21:30:44 Walter Bright wrote:
> >> 3) Again using LINK2, if I were to delete the LINK2= line from
> >> doc.ddoc and forget to readd it, my experience is that dmd -D
> >> will quietly drop instances of $(LINK2) without telling me.
> >
> > Then perhaps dmd should be fixed so that it complains. That's a quality of
> > implementation issue and probably easily fixed.
>
> It's quite deliberate, is not a QoI issue, and doesn't need to be fixed.

Hmmmm. Because it's designed with idea that you can make multiple passes?
Well, regardless of why, the fact that it doesn't give an error doesn't harm
ddoc's expressiveness. So, in questions of whether ddoc is powerful enough or
expressive enough to do something (which appears to be the thrust of Borden's
complaints) aren't affected by it.

My main complaint about ddoc is actually not a complaint about ddoc but about
html. I find it very annoying to have to put $(P ) around every paragraph. Stuff
like LaTeX does that automatically based on blank lines, which is way better
IMHO, but if you're targetting HTML, then unfortunately, you need to mark
paragraphs. The only way to fix that with regards to ddoc would be to make it
so that ddoc understood that blank lines meant new paragraphs and inserted
ddoc was less general, and there might be other negatives to that I haven't
thought of. So, we just get to deal with $(P ) I guess.

And it's easy enough to write a program to handle the stuff that ddoc _can't_
do (like generate a table of contents from all of your CHAPTER tags), that
ddoc's limitations really aren't a big deal, and its flexibility is fantastic.

- Jonathan M Davis