DLang Spec rewrite (?)

Borden 2013 at bordenrhodes.com
Sun May 26 19:45:33 PDT 2013

On Monday, 27 May 2013 at 02:11:00 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I think it would be great. In particular, an ebook format would
> be good.
>
> You may want to wait until
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/271 is
> in. It systematizes macros a lot and it may offer answers to
> many of your questions.
>
> Andrei

I appreciate the direct answer to my question, Professor. I would
start anyway, in my own source copy, checking the existing .ddoc
files and updating, in the few places necessary, the tags from
HTML4 to HTML5 - most of these changes are to the HEAD section,
anyway, and shouldn't require changes.

There are two problems that I've already run into, which I'll
need experienced help with:
1) doc.ddoc and html.ddoc define many of the macros that I need,
but some of them I'll need to redefine for HTML5. Walter's
response to how dmd resolves 'macro inheritence' doesn't clarify
for me whether I should override the non-HTML5-compliant macros
or rewrite the whole file. I hope it's not the latter.

Also, I don't understand the difference between doc.ddoc and
html.ddoc - what is each file supposed to do, exactly?

2) One I have my xhtml5.ddoc, it won't compile the .dd sources
correctly because many of the .dd files aren't written in a
manner where simple macro expansion will generate HTML5 compliant
code. To solve this, I'll need guidance on how to change the .dd
files to get xhtml.ddoc to work without breaking the other files.

To this end it would be most helpful to develop a standard list
of macros to use in the DLang spec sources and edit the
non-conforming .dd files to follow it. It seems right now that
the source files define whatever macros they like and leaves the
onus on figuring out what each means on the .ddoc files.