The stately := operator feature proposal

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Thu May 30 14:36:09 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 21:30:18 UTC, w0rp wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 20:58:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> There is a significant difference between a language feature
>> which adds actual
>> functionality and one that's purely syntactic sugar.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Plus here, the difference is four characters if you count the
> single space. I think there really isn't any value added to the
> language from this syntax. It's an alternative way to write
> something that is already very short and easy to understand.
> Plus, I think of auto as really just a placeholder, given that
> you don't need auto if you have a qualifier, like so:
>
> const x = 3.4f;

Surely you guys realize that a high level programming language IS
purely "syntactic sugar". A high level programming language DOES
NOTHING that can't be done in pure binary... after all, it has to
be translated one to one in it for the program to run on the cpu.

A high level programming language is to simply life both for
abstraction AND syntax.

It amazes me that you guys state such things when about 30% of
any programming language is purely "syntactic sugar"... hell,
auto is just a "syntactic sugar" keyword that offers no new
functionality... yet you're ok with that?

A class is just syntactic sugar for a collection of variables...
whats the use? It makes it easier for the programmer... same with
auto, same with :=... If you don't realize that then you should
think about it some more... (sure a class is more useful BUT that
is besides the point)