hello world in D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri May 31 09:26:06 PDT 2013

On Friday, 31 May 2013 at 15:58:12 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> Do you really think that is such a big issue?  I can't remember
> the last time I looked at the size of an executable I generated.

There's three cases where I sometimes care:

1) if I build the program on my computer, then push it to a
test/live server over a slow internet link. It is edit/run/debug
but with a sloooooow wait in the middle for the file to transfer.

2) I make little programs and send people Windows binaries over
my (kinda slow) home internet sometimes. So upload speed again,
especially if they play with it, send me comments, and I want to
send them a new version to try.

3) wanting minimism for its own sake :)

Using dlls can sometimes help, but the initial download is still
slow and it is a pain to have users manage that stuff, I prefer
to say "here's a .zip, just unzip it and run the program" so
smaller total package is a nice benefit.

That said though 95% of the time, a few megabytes isn't a big
deal.