hello world in D

Craig Dillabaugh cdillaba at cg.scs.carleton.ca
Fri May 31 08:58:11 PDT 2013

> Under 40 kilobytes! If you do the bare minimum you can get down
> to about 1 KB, but at that point, you're actually writing in
> mostly (inline) assembly rather than D. The code in the link
> though supports a majority (though certainly not all) of D's
> features.
>
>> Agreed 100%.  But newcomers don't often get that far down the
>> chain of thought, they just see a huge exe and wonder WTF! :)
>
> Indeed.

Do you really think that is such a big issue?  I can't remember
the last time I looked at the size of an executable I generated.
When I am trying to learn a new language it is really not
something I think of as a major issue.

However, I do scientific computing, and I am not distributing
most of the software I am developing.  If it runs fast and
doesn't fill up my terabyte hard drive - I will never notice.  So
I guess that makes me a little different than many posters on
this mailing list.

I would imagine there is fair segment on the programming
population who like me don't care too much about executable size.
   I suppose if you are developing software for embedded systems or
similar, then you probably watch for these things more.

Craig