D Programmer Jobs at Sociomantic Labs

Gary Willoughby dev at nomad.so
Mon Nov 4 08:22:51 PST 2013

On Monday, 4 November 2013 at 15:58:48 UTC, Chris wrote:
> "Who D is Not For
> - As a first programming language - Basic or Java is more
> suitable for beginners. D makes an excellent second language
> for intermediate to advanced programmers."
> (http://dlang.org/overview.html)

I'd argue against this. I think D would make a terrific first
language. Remember, you wouldn't start with metaprogramming on
day one. If you started with the basics using simple syntax and
introduce the compiler incrementally it would be very
educational. IMHO new programmers should start by learning how
memory works, what binary is, how big built-in types are, etc. I
am continually amazed when working with seasoned developers who
have no idea why floats aren't precise, what a pointer is or what
or bit-shifting does. It's staggering.

I personally also think BASIC is a total waste of time for
beginners. I does something to peoples minds that once they learn
it, they never want to use anything else ever again. I totally
agree with the following quote:

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to
students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential
programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of
regeneration." -Edsger W. Dijkstra

Years ago i was part of a BASIC community and the flamewars about
even thinking about new technologies were something to behold.

Something like C or D (i'd opt for D) should be any devs first
language. Simply to educate them in the basics.