Why the @ in @safe? & UDAs

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Nov 6 23:29:16 PST 2013

On 2013-11-07 07:48, Rob T wrote:

> It's not zero benefit, although it may seem like that over a small
> period of time, it's over an extended period that inconsistencies can
> become a very significant cause of productivity loss. I'd rather fix up
> my old code, and I know how horrible that is especially for production
> code that is in use, it's just not fun, but if language stability was
> more important to me than productivity, I would not have made the very
> painful move from C/C++ to D.

I agree with you. Unfortunately the those with commit access do not
agree. They have no interest, what so ever, in breaking backward
compatibility due to consistency.

The result is exactly what happened with D1. At some arbitrary point in
time it was decided that backwards compatibility must be kept, almost at
all cost. This was decided even though the language and the standard
library was far from stable.

--
/Jacob Carlborg