D french-speaking community

Raphaël Jakse raphael.jakse at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 02:24:18 PST 2013

Le 09/11/2013 11:13, Jacob Carlborg a écrit :
> On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 07:43:21 UTC, Raphaël Jakse wrote:
>
>> I've still not translated the chapter about template so I have not
>> decided anything yet.
>>
>> My guideline is to translate everything (I hate speaking/reading about
>> computer science with people who use three English works by French
>> sentance) and give the English counterpart the first time to be able
>> to find help in the English world.
>>
>> Also, using French words when speaking about computer science helps
>> speaking about computer science with people who are not into it, I'm
>> really attached to this.
>>
>> The French translation for template is "modèle", I think I'll use this
>> one. I'm okay with also giving the English "template" in my
>> translation, but not use it (If somebody disagrees, I'm open to talk)
>
> It sounds strange to translate a keyword. If I put it like this, it
> would be ok to translate a keyword when talking about it like a topic,
> i.e. a chapter called "Templates" (Modèle). But when referring to the
> actual keyword, what one need to write in the code, it seems wrong to
> translate it. So if you would write something like this:
>
> Templates are ... and the keyword used is "template".
>
> The first "template" would be translate but not the second. Does that
> make sense.

Yes, it makes sense. I thought about it and got to the same conclusion
as you.

I would title the chapter "Les modèles (templates)" with "templates" in
italic, or "Les modèles et le mot clé template" with "template" in a
monospace font.

keywords are not translated and are writen in a monospace font (or
whatever style dedicated for writing code) and concepts, ideas, topic or
whatever, get translated.