D french-speaking community

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sat Nov 9 04:50:51 PST 2013

On 09/11/13 12:05, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
> I remember having friends coming from North Africa and speaking among themselves
> in Arabic, interspersed with French words, enough for me to get a global feeling
> of what was being said. Most interesting was that mathematical terms (that was
> during my studies) were all in French.

It's a consequence of the history of the education system -- with Arabic being
the native language but French being the language of colonial administration and
therefore the language of higher education, particularly things like maths.
That split has persisted post-independence in much the same way that Latin
persisted as the language of scholarship after the fall of the Roman empire.

You have exactly the same thing occurring in e.g. India with English -- and of
course the English language itself is the long-term consequence of a similar
blend between native (Anglo-Saxon) and elite (Norman French) languages.

Oh, on the mathematical terms -- when I was an undergraduate I had a professor
who was Chinese, and one time I heard him on the phone to a Chinese colleague
with the conversation going something like this: "[incomprehensible] x over y,
[incomprehensible] integral of f dx ..."