Thoughts about D package management on Gentoo

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Nov 11 08:14:47 PST 2013

On Monday, 11 November 2013 at 15:54:11 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> D will eventually be an official GCC language and in the
> Gentoo tree. That will be how you install GDC in the future.
> We'll have to live with the binary, library and include
> directories it creates.

I actually fear that moment because the way GCC infrastructure
works it is impossible to make language updates within single GCC
stack version. So GDC users will likely just ignore obsolete
version packaged with GCC and build their own. And we will get
reports from frustrated newbies "I have installed gcc-d package
from the repo and nothing compiles".

I like LLVM approach much better in that regard as it allows to
define own versioning/release scheme.